What are the benefits of using a sustainability standard?
Sustainability standards provide a model to follow when setting up and operating a management system. Like all our standards, they are the result of national and international requirements, industry good practices and therefore offer the benefit of global management experience and good practice.
The benefits of using an effective system standard include:
• more efficient use of resources
• improved risk management, and
• increased customer satisfaction as services and products consistently deliver what they promise.
Who can use them?
These standards can be applied to any organisation, large or small, whatever the product or service and regardless of the sector of activity.
How Consultivo can help?
Consultivo research & study team is ready to take up any challenge to meet your need to develop a customised standard for your own use. We understand your as well as your stakeholders’ requirements on the sustainability, business excellence and business risk issues, identify the relevant national & international standards and codes of practices, integrate their requirements and customise them to your industry practices.
These customised standards are supported by interpretation and implementation guidelines. They are practical, effective and easy to use for that particular industry. Often further support is provided with capacity development programs.
Development of International standards
International standards are developed by groups of experts from systems to the industry subject matter experts (SME). These experts negotiate all aspects of the standard, including its scope, key definitions and content.
We consider the views of consumers also need to be taken into account when developing industry specific public standards. This creates a win-win situation for the consumer and manufacturer or service provider.
Development of Company Standards
Internal controls help entities achieve important objectives and sustain and improve performance. Consultivo’s bespoke Company standards with internal controls and an Integrated Framework enables organisations to effectively and efficiently develop systems that adapt to changing business and operating environments, mitigate risks to acceptable levels, and support sound decision making and governance of the organisation.
Designing and implementing an effective system of internal control can be challenging. New and rapidly changing business models, greater use and dependence on technology, increasing regulatory requirements and scrutiny, globalization, and other challenges demand any system of internal control to be agile in adapting to changes in business, operating and regulatory environments.
An effective system of internal control demands more than rigorous adherence to policies and procedures: it requires the use of judgment.
The Framework assists management, boards of directors, external stakeholders, and others interacting with the entity in their respective duties regarding internal control without being overly prescriptive. It does so by providing both understanding of what constitutes a system of internal control and insight into when internal control is being applied effectively.
For management and boards of directors, the Framework provides:
- A means to apply internal control to any type of entity, regardless of industry or legal structure, at the levels of entity, operating unit, or function
- A principles-based approach that provides flexibility and allows for judgment in designing, implementing, and conducting internal control—principles that can be applied at the entity, operating, and functional levels
- A means to identify and analyse risks, and to develop and manage appropriate responses to risks within acceptable levels and with a greater focus on anti-fraud measures
- An opportunity to expand the application beyond compliance objectives
For external stakeholders of an entity, application of this Framework provides greater confidence regarding the achievement of entity objectives, in the organisation’s ability to identify, analyze, and respond to risk and changes in the business and operating environments. Internal control is not a serial process but a dynamic and integrated process. The Framework applies to all entities: large, mid-size, small, for-profit and not-for-profit, and government bodies. However, each organization may choose to implement internal control differently.
Development of Implementation guides, training programs
Introduction of one or multiple system standards in any organisation; most of the time does not solve the problem of lack of compliance. At unit level or in the supply chain there exists lack of understanding, clarity and implementable action points to comply with the standard requirements.
Consultivo research team is able to develop a practical and implementable implementation guide that generally includes intent, interpretation, action points and forms – formats for each requirements of the standard. They also have several pictures and sketches for easy understanding of the user.
This is further supplemented by capacity development programs which enables an effective and sustainable implementation of the standard.
Development of Audit Protocol
Auditing, be it internal or external in nature, is an integral part of any system standard as it helps the organisation as well as its stakeholders to measure and monitor the system performance. Consultivo has developed several audit protocols, scheme rules, guidelines and checklists for its National & international customers.
These audit protocols / checklists can be qualitative or quantitative in nature. In case we design quantitative protocols, they are based on the Capability Maturity Model (CMM).
Use of technology is a need of the hour and it helps bigger organisations to manage their audit process for multiple units of their own or for their supply chain. With the help of our technology partners, Consultivo has developed web based software, tools and apps for the benefit of our customers.
Development of Business Excellence Protocols
Excellence models are designed to plan, execute, monitor, improve and recognise organisations that achieve high levels of performance – not only in what they achieve, but also in how they achieve it. Business Excellence frameworks that not only form the basis of the assessment criteria, but can also be used to drive improvements and benchmark performance as well as being used to manage specific activities such as procurement. Most of the time, they demonstrate quantitative results for qualitative enablers. Thus helping the organisations to measure the improvement.
In considering whether to embark on the use of an excellence model, it is helpful to consider what you may gain – so that you can design an approach that enables you to achieve your goals.
• motivate people to learn about how they can raise their performance
• engage people in improvement activity
• recognise existing good practice
• celebrate their existing achievements
• improve organisational performance
Consultivo’s experience in national, international and organisational system standards
An organisation has many stakeholders and delivers outputs intended to satisfy these stakeholders.
Consultivo as an organisation has acquired wealth of knowledge in numerous global codes and standards; while partnering with its customers in the capacity of an advisor, consultant, assessor or trainer. Few of them are listed here:
- Areas of focus National / International Standard, Code & Guideline Major Stakeholder(s)
- Quality Management ISO 9001 Customer
- Environmental Management ISO 14001 Society, Investor
- Occupational Health & Safety OHSAS 18001 Employees, Investor
- Social Accountability SA 8000 Employees, Investor
- Food Safety ISO 22000 / FSSAI Customer
- Energy Management ISO 50001 Organisation, Society
- Information Security ISO 27001 Customer
- Ethical & Sustainability SMETA Society
- Ethical Standard ETI Base Code Society
- Tea & Agri-business Sustainability ETP Standard, trustea, Sustainable Agriculture Network (SAN) Customers
- Social Responsibility ISO 26000 Society
- Legal Compliance Country specific legal requirements Statutory Bodies
As an organisation, Consultivo Knowledge Management system and competent resources are well organised to support our customers on any generic or industry / organisation specific standards in the areas of Sustainability, Business Risk and Business Excellence.