Critical thinking – the application of scientific methods and logical reasoning to problems and decisions – is the foundation of effective problem solving and decision making. Critical thinking enables us to avoid common obstacles, test our beliefs and assumptions, and correct distortions in our thought processes.
You can’t solve a problem unless you can reach up to the real cause—and most of the time, there’s more than one.
In this course, learn techniques for identifying the root cause of a problem, generating options, and selecting the best solution. We will guide you through several methods for identifying what’s actually causing a problem, including looking at the whole system when a problem is actually a symptom of a larger issue.
The participants will use the collaborative learning from the course and apply critical thinking skills to conduct an effective failure investigation & root cause identification during the course.
It will enable organisations to meet their requirements of improvement through corrective actions.
Earn Your Consultivo Academy Certificate
Consultivo Academy brings to you the Problem Solving & Decision Making training programme to inspire the excellence within you.
Successful Completion of the course earns you a Consultivo Academy Certificate, an industry accepted & recognised program based on proven best training practices.
As per your convenience
Have your pick!
Problem Solving & Decision Making Training
Team it up with training!
Our specialised resources have trained more than 5000 professionals since 2009.
One/Two days depending on the organisation’s requirement & learning objectives
One day: Understanding and awareness level
Two days: Understanding, awareness and practice to develop competence. More practical and hands on case-studies are used in the two-day duration course.
This course features a collaborative problem-based learning approach that provides an individual competence building experience through an overview and basic knowledge of failure investigation; theory, approach, investigation process, methods and tools, and reporting.
Topics covered include:
- Rationale for the methodology: introducing a framework for solving problems
- The objectives of problem-solving: why and by whom
- Stating the problem: identifying what exactly is wrong
- Diagnosing the problem: what, where, when and the scope of the problem?
- Identifying the potential causes: using your knowledge and experience to identify the cause of the problem
- Root cause analysis techniques, how to use effective investigation and analysis
- The course will cover one or more of the Systematic Cause Analysis Techniques like FMEA, Why-Why Analysis, Fish Bone Diagram, Six Thinking Hats, Barrier based techniques etc.
- Identifying distinctions: unique, specific or different components
- Identifying changes to be made: potential impacts on the cause of the problem
- Evaluating potential causes
- Practical exercises and case study
- Action Items – at the end of this course, participants would compile a list of action items based on their learning to apply back on the job
The course can be tailor made in terms of duration, level of detail, and according to company requirements.
Upon completing this course, you will be able to:
- Choose and apply appropriate problem solving and decision making processes and methods
- Identify common obstacles to effective problem solving and decision making
- Recognise the human variable in problem solving and decision making
- Assess major conceptual blocks and significant situational challenges
- Apply concepts to enhancing personal development and organisational performance
- Explain the key elements of problem solving and decision making and the barriers associated with them
Organisations may opt for a Training Summary Report after completion of the training session. The report generally summarises the output of the session in terms of satisfaction and knowledge gained when applicable.
The way forward
- To build a better competency at the individual level, the participant should identify a coach, apply the knowledge & skill learnt from the course to select problems in their area
- An assessment on the competency improvement on Problem Solving Techniques is also suggested after certain time interval
- It is recommended that participants go through an e-learning refresher course once a year and instructor-led refresher training once every three years
Who should attend
This training is suitable for all levels of Management professionals including those involved in ISO 9001, ISO 14001, ISO 45001 management systems, HR professionals, Internal Auditors, operations and maintenance managers, engineers, supervisors, management representatives – and anyone with the responsibility of Problem solving.
Fundamental awareness of the participants on industrial processes & related failures, errors, rejections, incidents will enhance the effectiveness of attending the course.
Each participant will be provided with a participant workbook.
Pre and Post Assessment is an option for this course.